Tuesday

The Best Employers in Hospitality awards 2013

As the clock approached 3pm on a grey and damp Monday afternoon, I began to think about exotic combinations of freezer food I could chuck together to enjoy in front of some trashy TV - A thought that was quickly banished as a last-minute invite to represent Harbour & Jones at the 'Best Employers in Hospitality 2013’ awards popped up in my inbox!

Too good of an opportunity to pass up, I pulled together a semi-acceptable 'black tie' dress, whipped a few curls in my hair and applied another coat of red lippy. With a splash of sample perfume from John Lewis, I was on my way to the Lancaster hotel to join my other employees for a *fingers crossed* celebratory night.


With champagne and olives on arrival, the room quickly filled with an air of excitement whilst colleagues nattered over who was going to win the all important prize of the evening 'Best Employers in Hospitality 2013'.

At 7.30pm we were invited to take our seats in the beautiful Grand Ballroom. Themed in black and purple the ambiance was electric as contenders settled at their tables for the evening.




After wine had been served, the starter was soon to follow: fresh roasted sea bass with red miso, pickled melon and radish salad with yuzu dressing. For the main course we enjoyed a breast of roasted guinea fowl served with pressed celeriac and truffle potato, ragout of marinated artichokes, sun blushed tomatoes, black olives and a rich tarragon chicken jus. As if I hadn’t had my fill after the scrummy savouries, out came pudding, which was an adult’s Halloween delight.  A clever play on the toffee apple, it was a trio of carpaccio English apples, toffee bavarois with Hampshire Cox and Bramley apple sorbet.



I really do have to say, compliments to the chef. The level of presentation teamed with tasty, fresh flavours and piping hot plates was a promising start to the evening.

Shortly after coffee and petit fours were served, our host for the evening took to the stage. I never really find comedians funny. However, whilst telling a story about being overweight, he launched himself across the stage resulting in a domino effect of crystal trophies smashing to the floor. The slightly taken aback audience didn't know whether to sit in an awkward silence or roar with laughter. I chose the latter and thought it was hilarious! I would have been mortified if this had happened to me however it broke the ice (literally) and set the tone for the night.

We didn't have long to wait before our category was called: ‘The Best Medium Contract Cater Employer 2013.’ Contending against The Good Eating Company, we waited on tenterhooks for the winner to be announced.


WE WON! Being the raucous bunch of personalities that we are, a field of high-pitched squeals and masculine woooo’s filled the room. We all quickly made our way up to the stage with Mr Jones himself to collect our award.


Putting the Jones in 'Harbour & Jones'

Being fresh out of university when first joining Harbour & Jones the opportunities and encouragement I have had over the last two years have been invaluable. Although we all work very hard at what we do, the emphasis on having fun is paramount. I love that there isn’t a divide between senior management and employees therefore everyone is treated fairly. The clear presence and input of Patrick harbour and Nathan Jones keeps everyone striving in the right direction to do the best for the company.  

A worthy award for a truly amazing employer!

Thanks for having me H&J!  


No comments:

Post a Comment